Friday, June 1, 2012

A Pollster Called Today - I Gave Them a Song, But No Dance


Do you ever get tired of telemarketers? I know I do. What bugs me the most is that many telemarketing companies actually are exempted? Did you know that all political campaigns are exempted from telemarketing rules? That shouldn't surprise you because, well, it's the politicians that make all the rules. When I am called by a political campaign, especially one that I don't want to talk to, or is perhaps on the other side of the issues then I usually give them a hard time, play around with them, or give them false and misleading information.


You might say this is unethical, or that I lack character but I totally disagree. You see these people are calling me unannounced, and they're wasting my time, so it is they who are unethical, not I. You see my point yet? Some people say that you should be respectful of all people, but when it comes to telemarketers I wholeheartedly disagree. They aren't my friends, and I don't even believe that I should tolerate them because they are being disrespectful to me, simply by the fact that they are wasting my time.

The other day, it was right before the November 2012 presidential elections. A pollster called me, and wanted to know who I was can vote for, for president. You see, I had half a notion to tell them that; "it's none of your damn business," but because I've been barraged by these political calls all week, I chose a new tactic, I decided that I needed to find a way to get them to take me off their list. So here's what I came up with.

I told them I couldn't vote because I was convicted of attempted murder and that was a felony. The pollster at first didn't believe me because, well, I started laughing. So, he played along with me and said; "no really who do you plan on voting for?"

I told him; "seriously, I can't vote because I tracked down a telemarketer bothering me on the phone, but I wasn't trying to take-out the person, just knock some sense into them, so I was wrongly convicted, as I wasn't trying to murder anyone - by the way, where are you calling from, can you give me an exact location, maybe an address too?"

Then all of a sudden the line went dead, which makes me think that maybe some of these telemarketing pollsters don't exactly have the right statistics after all? Yes, doesn't make you think that perhaps all these polling numbers we are reading in the newspapers and watching on cable TV are bogus? Because real people don't want to be harassed, and at some point they simply hang up, or give the pollster telemarketing company a song and a dance.

Needless to say, the pollster wasn't about to give me their address, and they came in under caller ID blocked. They have all the information about me, but I have none about them, and they are asking personal political questions which quite frankly are none of their business. The only reason they want this information is to sell me their candidate, or put the information I give them in the newspaper or on the TV for their own political advantage. Quite frankly they can go to an underground place with extremely high ambient temperatures if you get my drift.

It seems unfortunate that these politicians know no bounds, and their campaigns think that they are above the law, that they can call up and harass Americans to know end. Personally, if these politicians would do their job, and do it right, they could get reelected without all this extra nonsense, but they don't do they? Are any of them any good? No, the answer to that question isn't pretty. Please consider all this and think on it.